GARDEN ORB SPIDER
The Garden Orb Weaving Spiders are a large group of spiders which are distributed throughout Australia, with over 100 known species in Australia. They make sticky, suspended, wheel-shaped orb webs. Their webs can be seen openings between trees and shrubs where insect activity is high.
- Garden Orb Weavers
- Eriophora transmarina
- 2 cm – 3 cm (female), 1.5 cm – 2 cm (male)
- They are a stout, reddish-brown or grey
- They have a leaf-shaped pattern on their bodies
- They have a roughly triangular abdomen
- The have two noticeable humps towards the front
- sometimes have a dorsal stripe which may be white or brown edged with white
- The female life cycle is about 12months
- The female lays her eggs in late summer to autumn.
- The garden orbs eggs are sealed in a fluffy silken cocoon and are attached to foliage
- The spiderlings hatch in Autumn
- The spiderlings float on the breeze using small silk strands which look like balloons
- The spiderlings build their own webs to wait out the winter
- During spring the spiderlings develop quickly
- Adult females usually die in Autumn to early winter
- Males and females are similar in size
- The Garden Orb spider builds large, strong, vertical orb webs
- The construction of the web begins at night and is usually taken down by dawn
- The spider rests head-down in the centre of the web, waiting for prey.
- Wraps its prey in silk, rotating it with its shorter middle legs.
- Once the prey is secure, it bites down and injects venom, then waits for its prey to die
- The spider rests on nearby foliage with its legs drawn under the body during the day
- Orb weavers are not common biters
- If a person is bitten, numbness or swelling may occur
- Dizziness or nausea can also be a side effect of their bite
Contact Us For Free Advice & Quotes
WHY CHOOSE US?
SYDNEY PEST CONTROL
Sydney’s Best Pest Control technicians are professional and trained in the best techniques when it comes to pest removal and prevention. Most importantly, we take a personal interest in our clients.
All Sydney’s Best Pest Control personnel stand behind our mission statement; it guides their job performance just as it guides company policy. They personally ensure our clients of their best service, just as our company provides them with the best technology.
Our company is a family-owned and operated business that has been serving the Sydney suburbs for many years and will continue to be here when you need us.